ARCHIPELAGO is an innovative vocational training programme funded by the European Union under the European Union Emergency Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF). The Programme aims at strengthening the employability of the workforce and the entrepreneurial capacity of MSMEs in the 12 target countries of the Sahel and Lake Chad region. It thus aims to respond to the difficulties generated on the African continent by economic and social exclusion, marginalization and structural situations of inequality that lead to irregular migration.
So far, the programme has organised two calls for proposals to select, support and finance relevant partnership projects contributing to the programme objective. Each partnership project has a duration of 20 to 32 months and disposes of a budget between EUR 400,000 to EUR 600,000. Under the first call for proposals, which closed in July 2019, 10 contracts were signed for projects in the following countries: Burkina Faso (2 projects), Cameroon (1), Chad (2), Ghana (1), Mali (1), Mauritania (1) and Senegal (2).
The second call for proposals, which was closed at the beginning of May 2020, led to the selection of 9 further projects in Cameroon (3), Côte d'Ivoire (2), Ghana (1), Mauritania (1), Niger (1) and Senegal (1), which are to be signed in the coming months. The selected projects of the second call are expected to start in September 2020 and focus on creating employment opportunities in a wide range of economic sectors, including agriculture, agro-industry, construction, textiles and handicraft.
The 19 funded projects will be implemented by international consortia comprising a total of 45 partners from Africa and 40 partners from Europe.
- Professional skills. ARCHIPELAGO is an inclusive economic development program that focuses on the employability of young people and the most vulnerable groups, improving their professional skills and increasing their chances to access the labour market.
- Employability of young people. ARCHIPELAGO Programme aim at providing young people with trainings and skills that matches the labour market and the needs of the private sector.
- Institutional partnerships. ARCHIPELAGO's approach is that of an institutional partnership: European chambers and associations connect with African chambers, associations and educational institutions in order to impart important knowledge and skills to young people in close cooperation with the private sector and in line with the needs of the labour market. This placement is to take place both in vocational training centres and at the workplace. Promoting employment through demand-oriented further training is an important contribution to socio-economic stabilisation in the countries.
- Entrepreneurship and dual vocational training. Following an open and transparent selection process, the partnership projects develop adapted entrepreneurship and dual (workplace and TVET centre) vocational training programmes. The skills and aptitudes transmitted correspond to the needs of the labor market and their acquisition is validated by a certification.
Geographical coverage : 12 countries of the Sahel and Lake Chad:
- Burkina Faso, Cameroun, Côte d'Ivoire, Gambie, Ghana, Guinée, Mali, Mauritanie, Niger, Nigéria, Sénégal, Tchad
Budget envelope :
- 15 million for 48 months, starting in December 2018
So far, the programme has organised two calls for proposals to select, support and finance relevant partnership projects contributing to the programme objective. Each partnership project has a duration of 20 to 32 months and disposes of a budget between EUR 400,000 to EUR 600,000. Under the first and the second call for proposals, 19 projects have been selected in the following countries : Burkina Faso (2 projects), Cameroon (3), Chad (2), Côte d'Ivoire (2), Ghana (2), Mali (1), Mauritania (2), Niger (1) and Senegal (4).
The 19 funded projects will be implemented by international consortia comprising a total of 45 partners from Africa and 40 partners from Europe in a wide range of economic sectors, including agriculture, agro-industry, hospitality industries, construction, electricity, solar energy, ports logistics, textiles and handicrafts.
- 10 500 youth and entrepreneurs
The Consortium :
ARCHIPELAGO relies on the combined actions of the consortium partners, sequa_gGmbH, CPCCAF and EUROCHAMBRES, who mobilizes their networks to promote the implementa-tion of partnership projects in vocational training based on an entrepreneurial vision and the need of the private sector in the targeted regions.
- SEQUA gGmbH www.sequa.de Partner of German Businness
- EUROCHAMBRES www.eurochambres.eu The Association of European Chambers of Commerce and Industry
- CPCCAF www.cpccaf.org Conférence permanente des chambres consulaire africaines et francophones